The second note.

Alex stood on the other side of the room, I don’t know if he was looking at me. “You could have been dead.” he said. I opened my eyes, for a second my pulse went to zero as I took in the fact. I could have been dead now.

I looked to the right, Alex was sleeping in the chair. There were some windows but I didn’t see them. I only saw the light they let into the room. It was day time. My dad called, told me that the spring had come to Sweden. For a few minutes I could feel the thin breeze, believing I was sitting there next to him experiencing flowers, fresh leaves and knobs on the trees.

At night I had nightmares. Of trees that were swaying in space, opening up their trunks revealing four young women in bright silk night gowns coloured in red, green, orange and yellow. The trunks closed again and the trees cruched the women dead, I screamed inside of me that I did not want to see it. Dark faces came flying towards me, as they came close they ripped open or turned into horrible shapes.
I woke up drowning in sweat, it was hard to breathe. The nurse came in, gave me some more tablettes. Eight every morning, six during the day, eight in the evening and another six during night. That’s malaria for you. Plus they gave me five bags of fluid every day plus painkillers and other stuff through the drip. Some things were to kill the malaria, others to save my stomach, some to save me from the pain and some to remove the fever.

As I was lying in the bed there was a television stuck to the ceiling. The angle was perfect if you want to watch television, but really sucky if you don’t. To me it was either too bright or the people were moving way too fast. Every time I opened my eyes all I saw instead was my own miserable appearance reflected in the screen, and no matter if I put the back of my bed up or if I was lying flat down, that screen always managed to be on exact eye level, reflecting that dirty hair and those half closed blank eyes.

Pray you never get it, it was the worst thing I have ever had. And it’s still not all good. I left the hospital after four days, with strict words from the doctor not to run, climb, bike or do anything energy-consuming for two or three weeks. That’s easy to say to a bumpy little dancing creature travelling around Africa, more difficult for me to keep as my energy slowly is returning. Soon I will be bouncing all over the place again.


One thought on “The second note.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s